Hall thruster

One of my latest projects that I'm doing in parallel with others is designing and making a Hall thruster! This is probably one of the least theoretical projects that I've ever done! I have no idea really what inspired me to do this, I was just thinking of accelerating plasmas in discharge tubes when I thought it would be fun to build a small scale one.

A Hall thruster is a device which accelerates a plasma through a discharge chamber via an electric field. The accelerated ions meet with electrons that are rotated around the devices axis by means of a radial magnetic field and so the now neutral atoms pass out of the discharge chamber.


It may not be possible to miniaturise a Hall thruster due some physical restrictions, if this is the case I can try to construct a similar type of device, generic ion thruster etc. So far I've made a basic model using COMSOL Multiphysics and I'm just in the process of testing different materials.

Simulating magnetic fields
Very early design of thruster











I don't really want to use the thruster for anything, I may even just make a general plasma accelerator. I'd like to look into attaching a simple plasma discharge chamber to some capacitor bank and see what amounts of thrust can be produced.

3 comments:

  1. I am highly interested in modeling these kind of thrusters using COMSOL Multiphysics. Can you post some details regarding the model in COMSOL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am highly interested in modeling these kind of thrusters using COMSOL Multiphysics. Can you post some details regarding the model in COMSOL?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to voice my appreciation for your kindness for individuals that require help with this niche. Your special commitment to getting the solution all-around had become exceptionally important and has truly encouraged professionals just like me to get to their dreams. This insightful help and advice indicates much a person like me and somewhat more to my office workers. With thanks; from all of us. vibrator sex toy

    ReplyDelete